I have spent the last 4 days reading a devotional series “Stress and Rest” by Chuck Swindoll. Yeah I don’t do either well at all.
But he ended the 4 part series with the statements below. (I don’t do these well either)
Just felt like sharing
God continues to hold out to all His children a peaceful, worry-free lifestyle that we can enter into on a moment-by-moment basis.
Will it happen automatically? No, we are instructed to "be diligent to enter that rest." What does that mean? Simply this:
- We acknowledge that our God is in full control of our lives. No accidents or surprises occur. He calls the shots.
- We take Him at His Word. We believe His promises (the Bible is full of them—by the hundreds).
- We claim them by faith. We apply them to our particular circumstance almost as if God were speaking directly to us this very moment.
- We rest in Him. We consciously refuse to worry or fret over how He is going to work things out. By entering into that rest, we cease from our own works just as deliberately as our Creator-God ceased from His works on the seventh day of the creative week.
- We continue in that calm frame of mind until God sovereignly intervenes and solves the problem. We keep trusting in Him with all our hearts. And every time an alien thought of anxiety flits through our minds, we turn it over to the Lord in prayer.
This is perhaps the best way to explain one of my favorite verses, Psalm 46:10:
Cease striving and know that I am God.